Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Carrot-ginger muffins & a digression


This is my first-ever post about muffins. Pretty surprising given the fact that I am a muffin fanatic. Zealot. I'm of the opinion that the most perfect weekday breakfast is baked in a tin. Scones and bagels are fatty enough to be reserved for the occasional weekend indulgence, but I can bake a batch of muffins and eat them all week! I'd settled into this Spiced Carrot muffin routine (super healthy and quite yummy) when I discovered a small bag of wheat bran in our pantry. K had used it in his multi-grain sandwich bread and I decided to claim the leftovers for muffins. These ones are the best yet to emerge from my teeny tiny kitchen, which is why I'm finally posting a muffin recipe.

Carrot-ginger muffins
Makes 8 muffins
  • 3/4 c white whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 c wheat bran
  • 1/4 c raw sugar
  • 1/4 c agave nectar (or honey)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp  freshly ground nutmeg
  • 3 tbsp butter, melted
  • 3 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1/4 c applesauce
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 c (packed) shredded carrots
  • 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
Preheat the oven to 375F. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Whisk the egg, applesauce, butter, and coconut oil in another bowl. Add the carrots and fresh ginger to the wet mixture. Combine the wet & dry ingredients and fill 8 muffin cups. Bake for 22-25 min.

Want more hardly-addicting muffins (proof of my obsession)? Here they come!

Doughnut muffins to cheer you up on bad days
Savory roasted red pepper and goat cheese muffins
Healthy lemon poppy seed muffins
Tart walnut yogurt muffins
Baked egg muffins (inspired by bouchons au thon)
Chocolate chip banana muffins (based on these from Supernatural Cooking)
Blueberry corn muffins from The Bread Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment