Friday, March 19, 2010

The one with the cauliflower and potatoes

Cauliflower was one of the few vegetables I would eat as a kid and still one of my absolute favorites. Broccoli gets a lot of press--deservedly so--but of the cabbages nothing soaks up flavors like cauliflower. So unsurprisingly I love aloo gobi, but from looking up recipes online I'm getting the impression that the saucy, tomatoey aloo gobi I love is not quite real aloo gobi... Nevertheless, delicious

I more or less followed this recipe.

Materials
  • 1 small onion diced
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 3 peeled and cubed yukon gold potatoes
  • 1 head of cauliflower broken into florets
  • 14 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
  • 1 serrano pepper, diced (I like to take out seeds from half the pepper)
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp tumeric
  • a clove of garlic
  • tsp of fresh ginger
  • small bunch of chopped cilantro
  • salt

Assembly
This ends up being a lot of food. If you have a large, deep sauce pan that would be perfect. I used our dutch oven (after first pouring everything from a medium pan into a large pan and then the large pan into the dutch oven). In any case, heat the oil over medium heat for a few minutes and add the onion, cumin, and a pinch of salt. When the onion is translucent, add the chopped pepper, tomatoes, tumeric, garlic, and ginger and mix thoroughly. Then add the potatoes, cauliflower, and a tsp of salt, mix it up so the veggies are coated, and simmer for 20-40 minutes (it was closer to 40 for me). While it's cooking, you can add a little bit of water if it is getting too dry. When the potatoes are done, stir in the cilantro and adjust the seasonings to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment